From the internationally bestselling authors of THE ILLUMINAE FILES comes an epic new science fiction adventure.
The year is 2380, and the graduating cadets of Aurora Academy are being assigned their first missions. Star pupil Tyler Jones is ready to recruit the squad of his dreams, but his own boneheaded heroism sees him stuck with the dregs nobody else in the Academy would touch…
A cocky diplomat with a black belt in sarcasm
A sociopath scientist with a fondness for shooting her bunkmates
A smart-ass techwiz with the galaxy’s biggest chip on his shoulder
An alien warrior with anger management issues
A tomboy pilot who’s totally not into him, in case you were wondering
And Ty’s squad isn’t even his biggest problem—that’d be Aurora Jie-Lin O’Malley, the girl he’s just rescued from interdimensional space. Trapped in cryo-sleep for two centuries, Auri is a girl out of time and out of her depth. But she could be the catalyst that starts a war millions of years in the making, and Tyler’s squad of losers, discipline-cases and misfits might just be the last hope for the entire galaxy.
They’re not the heroes we deserve. They’re just the ones we could find. Nobody panic.
Disclaimer: I was provided with a physical copy of the book by Rock The Boat News in exchange for an honest review. However, all the thoughts, feelings and opinions expressed in this review are my own.
Second Disclaimer: The pictures for the squad in this review are NOT mine! The art is sby the wonderful @kiranight_art and the photos downloaded from the website of Mister Kristoff! ❤
I.. AM.. SPEECHLESS…
Off the bat; I read this one immediately after completing The Illuminae Files (Read My Review) – so I was a bit worried that one would definitely overwhelm the other; considering that both are part of the science fiction genre and both were written by the same brilliant author duo.
BUT IT WAS INDIVIDUALLY STANDING; INDEPENDENTLY AWESOME START TO WHAT APPEARS TO BE ANOTHER NEW FAVOURITE SERIES!
Okay. I will calm down, before I actually end up scaring ya’ll away from this book.
Lets take a look at the diverse set of characters; who end up wowing the readers with their general gung – ho attitude and snarky comebacks that make you want to take lessons from them:
- First and foremost, we have our scout leader and the star pupil of the Aurora Academy – Tyler Jones aka Captain of the Squad – who is a strickler for the rules and somehow never really the fun of coloring outside of the lines 😉 Even then, understands the difference between the right and the wrong rules, enough that he doesn’t end up making you want him slap him all the way into the space he so wants to police!
- Second, you have Tyler’s twin sister – Scarlett Jones or better known as the FACE of the squad – she could make you buy your own soul and make you give her the money while you do it. I adored the way she had her brother’s back, but she needs more screen time and I am hoping that she gets more cuddly time in the next book.
- Third, we have the brains behind the squad – Zila Madran aka Brains – who is as smart and as sociopathic as your neighborhood Sherlock Holmes; but with a little less conversation and a lot more awkwardness.
- Fourth, we have our Resident Alien – a giant with purple eyes and silver hair, Kaliis “Kal” Gilwraeth – Tank (or if you DON’T like saying this mouthful, just Kal should do) who lives on the edge of falling into unleashing his wrath on the world – so needless to say I was in love with him before he even uttered a single word.
- Fifth, we have our sarcasm and snarky Pilot – Cat Brannock aka Ace – who is definitely *NOT* in love with our boy scout Captain; and could also hold classes for those wholly untrained in the art of sarcasm.
- Sixth; we have our team’s; for the lack of better word, maintanence guy – Finian de Seel aka Gearhead – He feels out of space; and out of sync with his own quite the extended family; and hence uses the armor of his wonderful sarcasm to protect his feelings. I am so excited to how things do turn out for him!
- Seventh but not the least – Aurora Jie – Loin O’Malley aka The Girl Out of Time – who is the main reason behind why this collection of this rag tag squad are together – a girl from the past, waking up in the future; with powers she has no idea about and the reason why the Squad 312 goes on the run from their own people.
A fun, easy reading adventurous read – the plot might seem predictable at times – but it the brilliant writing talent of the author duo that ends up being a binge reading material. Plus, what I absolutely adored was that the romantic aspect is unpredictable – I didn’t actually see that coming; and that made fall in love with this new series all over again!
This is the first book in a new series – and though there is not much of a cliffhanger (LIES! ALL LIES!!!) in this one; there is enough loose threads to make you want to wish that you had the next book already (is this hint enough Mr. Kristoff and Ms. Kaufman? Or do you want me to send you banners in the sky!).
⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐
AMAZON INDIA | AMAZON KINDLE | AMAZON US
1 thought on “Sass and Adventure in Space – *Exactly* How I Like My Heroes To Be! | ARC Review: Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle #1) by Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufman”