Betrothed since childhood to the prince of Mynaria, Princess Dennaleia has always known what her future holds. Her marriage will seal the alliance between Mynaria and her homeland, protecting her people from other hostile lands. But Denna has a secret. She possesses an Affinity for fire—a dangerous gift for the future queen of a kingdom where magic is forbidden.
Now, Denna must learn the ways of her new home while trying to hide her growing magic. To make matters worse, she must learn to ride Mynaria’s formidable warhorses—and her teacher is the person who intimidates her most, the prickly and unconventional Princess Amaranthine—called Mare—the sister of her betrothed.
When a shocking assassination leaves the kingdom reeling, Mare and Denna reluctantly join forces to search for the culprit. As the two become closer, Mare is surprised by Denna’s intelligence and bravery, while Denna is drawn to Mare’s independent streak. And soon their friendship is threatening to blossom into something more.
But with dangerous conflict brewing that makes the alliance more important than ever, acting on their feelings could be deadly. Forced to choose between their duty and their hearts, Mare and Denna must find a way to save their kingdoms—and each other.
OF FIRE & STARS is the first pick of #2018FWTBRPick for the month of August! Don’t forget to click the link to see what it is all about! ❤
One of my favourites on Instagram absolutely adored this book; and honestly i could see why; even though I was sort of only okay with the book! But I will reiterate why:
THINGS TO ADORE ABOUT THIS BOOK:
- The writing style of the author is not only good but its also simple in its execution – it made it quite easy to understand a world and its inhabitants.
- The fact that the author has shown the same sex couple in this book – is high points in her favour; mostly because this relationship was handled tastefully and exactly like any other relationship would have been.
- While there is a sense of love triangle, its mostly the third wheel kind; cause there are no feelings involved except for the main characters.
- I also adored the fact that all kinds of relationships were treated equally; there was no discrimination or restriction on whom you could love and marry.
- The plot lays its foundation, at first slowly but then surely – and the political intrigue is interesting enough to hold my interest.
- I read this beauty within a day and a half amids of adulting on a weekend; and this makes me very proud of myself!
THINGS I WAS OKAY-ISH WITH THIS BOOK:
- While the author does a brilliant job of laying the foundation, the plot slows quite abruptly in the middle of the book – which means it took me more than half the time in which to get through the book, just getting through the middle portion of the book.
- While there should have been romance; too much time was given to the development of the relationship between Mare and Denna; and honestly not enough time to the development of the political intrigue in itself.
All in all, I went into this beauty with unusually high expectations and while it did pass my expectations on one aspect but not enough on the other aspects!
⭐ ⭐ ⭐
AMAZON INDIA | AMAZON US
2 thoughts on “Book Review: Of Fire and Stars (Of Fire and Stars #1) by Audrey Coulthurst”
Great review! I’ve heard of this book but i never gave it a shot. I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy it as much as you hoped.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Same here! I adored the way the author has actually made the world; but the plot itself did have a few flaws that i couldn’t overlook!